Monday, August 24, 2009

Google Docs

Google Docs look great. It has a lot of potential. It's free for one thing and you don't have to worry about having to backup your files. You don't have to buy a program and load it on your individual computer. You have access to it from any computer that accesses the web. Also, through the sharing option multiple users can work on the same document to create a real time editing experience. It connects the document(s) with its creators even if the creators even if the creators are miles apart. This is more convenient than the traditional way of using e-mail revisions, etc. As long as everyone else is using Google Docs then there is no compatibilty problem. I found the Form option a little confusing, but maybe it's just me. I'm more of a visual person, so the Form one was not as fun.

Is it compatable with all the Microsoft products? Just a question, having not had a lot of experience with it.

I looked at the From Templates option and it looks like a great resource of standard templates already made for me to use. I found a copy of a checkbook register..... etc.

I created several documents and shared with two fellow 23 Things travelers. They seems to be more basic versions of Word, Powerpoint, etc. Microsoft Word has page setup, and looks more like wordprocessing with tabs etc. Google Docs does not and is designed more for the online environment. It's a great alternative to Microsoft products.

The Google Docs Blog had a entry on how to create an online store using Google Spreadsheet. It looks pretty easy and would be a cheap alternative to anything else. The other entries are good to keep up-to-date with changes.

At our library we have Microsoft Office, but I see how Google Docs would be of benefit when I am blogging or working on a project with a group. Being able to all work on the same document is a plus.

I look forward to exploring more with this free product.

No comments:

Post a Comment